Broken Dreams

Have you ever read the little poem about broken dreams and how we are to turn them over to God and remove that burden from our souls?

I think about that poem a lot, not that I have a lot of broken dreams per se, but I reflect a lot on what " I thought my life should have been" or what I have missed out on with my children. I think on those things sometimes and I have to give it over to God and not dwell on it.

As children bring their broken toys
With tears for us to mend,
I brought my broken dreams to God
Because He was my friend.

But then instead of leaving Him
In peace to work alone,
I hung around and tried to help
With ways that were my own.

At last I snatched them back and cried,
“How could you be so slow”
“My child,” He said, “What could I do?
You never did let go.”

- written by Robert J. Burdette



I often wonder at what point does someone break? I have seen people I know,  have break downs and I wonder sometimes is it truly science and is there a electrical or chemistry type mess up in their body or some lack of synapses in the brain, not enough serotonin, etc...  I have read about the science of mental break downs, but I have often wondered do people sometimes break down because of a broken heart, or just being broken, and not giving it to God. Maybe they don't know the poem " Broken dreams" maybe they choose not to rely on God, or maybe they do all that and there is just something inside that snaps. I may never know the answer, but I know I don't want to be in their shoes, and I thank God everyday for the grace to be of sound mind and heart. I love the science of psychology, but do not think I could work with those patients as I just don't think I could hear the sad stories and have patience with them like I should.

I do know there is power in Jesus Christ, and he will carry you when times are hard,(Isaiah 41:10) he will help you and he will sustain you even when you are questioning life, and oppressed, or down, or blue( 2Tim 1:7), or feeling like a failure. He will sustain you and speak words of truth in your ear if you will come to him, and rely on him and study his word.

If you feel broken and sometimes hanging on by a thread, come to him, study his word, pray, he will lift you and carry you over the coals of life. He will strengthen you and whisper hope in you ear.

Come to him.....

He heals the brokenhearted And binds up their wounds. Psalm 147:3

Comments

  1. Thank you for this Mary. I am one of the broken. I am a case study that could be done by having a diagnosis of depression, post traumatic stress disorder, panic disorder, and anxiety. I don't know all the answers but know that some reasons contribute to things I have been through in life. I went on to college and received a masters degree and taught for years, but still my life is on a downward spiral for all these issues. I believe and worship God...and know there is room to get closer each day, but I even don't understand why I'm going through some of the things I'm going through. I wonder sometimes if it's because I don't know how to let go of things I shouldn't be holding onto, I wish I didn't have this in my life...I used to have joy, self-confidence, self-esteem, energy, love, and felt free to worship.....but now I am missing all those important things in life. Sometimes, I even feel that I should punish myself for things I have done wrong in life. I know I made many, many wrong choices without seeking God first....so please pray that God will restore my joy and peace. Thank you and love you lots!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Just One Towel in this Privileged Life.

The garden of life..

What Matters in the end...