What is your bread and water?

So I am in deep thought about my Bible study of Hosea.  The question in the text is what is your bread and water?  Funny question right.  Well,  as I pondered that thought, I thought of Maslow and his hierarchy of needs.

Here is a quick rundown of Maslow's theory. If all the needs from the bottom up are met, then we can make it to the top of self actualization ( chart at the bottom of the page)

1. Biological and Physiological needs - air, food, drink, shelter, warmth, sex, sleep.

2. Safety needs - protection from elements, security, order, law, stability, freedom from fear.

3. Love and belongingness needs - friendship, intimacy, affection and love, - from work group, family, friends, romantic relationships.

4. Esteem needs - achievement, mastery, independence, status, dominance, prestige, self-respect, respect from others.

5. Self-Actualization needs - realizing personal potential, self-fulfillment, seeking personal growth and peak experiences

"Yes, their mother is promiscuous; She conceived them and acted shamefully. 
For she thought, 'I will go after my lovers, the men who give me my food and water, my wool and flax, my oil and drink'. " Hosea 2:5

As you know the book of Hosea is all about Gomer and the harlot that she was, but in reality she was just a lost lamb, searching, searching for that void in her life, that we all search for when all the time it is right in front of our faces.......
It goes even deeper and compares Gomer to Israel and how the Israelites wander away from God as well, but we won't get into that right now, that is another blog.

Why do we wander? The same reason Gomer wandered from her spouse and many women do, is the same reason we wander from God as did the Israelites.... We are all searching for the void, and that self actualization that was part of Maslow's theory.....
  And why do we always go back to the very thing that may not be good for us? Like addictions, an abusing partner, or those secret sins no one knows about? Why does the homeless man or woman go back to the street when offered a home?

We are creatures of habit, we like the familiar, the things in our life that we feel like meet our needs, just as Gomer went after her lovers, she felt that they were fulfilling a need, when in fact all she needed was a relationship with God our Father......

We are all on a journey like Maslow wrote about into Self Actualization or are we?

For me, it's easy.... Self actualization and the void can be easily filled with God, faith in him and trust. My bread and water are fulfilled when I read and study his word and pray.

Others, it is not so easy... Sometimes very intellectual people, like with a high IQ 130-160 have a really hard time in making sense of it all. Faith is harder I think for them. I do not know the answer for you except that God will have to show you, but it is all about Faith Folks, and believing in something that you cannot see because it's the void that you search for.

What is your literal bread and water? We take it for granted, especially if we work and meet all those needs each week because our physiological needs are being met.

My initial answer for this was Job, money... as I need all of that to get literal bread and water, but as I pondered it and for my soul to be fulfilled from it's depths so that all the other can be met, I need GOD, simple.

He fulfills me, He helps me..... it's a journey.  It's a destination, but mostly it's a journey.

"Yes, their mother is promiscuous; She conceived them and acted shamefully. 
For she thought, 'I will go after my lovers, the men who give me my food and water, my wool and flax, my oil and drink'. " Hosea 2:5

'For I thought, I will go after my LOVE, the ONE who gives me food and water, my wool and flax, my oil and drink' - 
Thank you God for loving me and meeting all my needs...... 



WOW what a BIG GOD we have. He can meet all your needs!!!! 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Just One Towel in this Privileged Life.

The garden of life..

What Matters in the end...