Listening to God's voice

      I am trying to read the Bible through in a year, I have these scriptures daily that I read and I am reading right now in Exodus.  Its always an interesting book to me, how the Children of Israel wander in the wilderness finding it so hard to trust God and he is right there with them. I think of ourselves and this country and how we wander in the wilderness and God is still right here with us,well the Holy Spirit is.
They didn't really even have to go on much faith because he did appear before them, they knew he was real and powerful and mighty, but they couldn't even trust him either.
  I think how hard it is to trust, to listen to have faith.... Even I struggle at times listening. We don't want to hear too much, we don't want to have to live too Holy, because then people will think we are freaks....Well didn't they think Jesus was a freak? Most Jews didn't believe he was the Son of God and to this day still don't believe.
   Listening though, listening to God, I think about the Israelites wandering around in the wilderness, worshipping idols, complaining, feeling alone and forsaken.....why...because they wouldn't listen and trust.

I think of this scripture:
"And they said to Moses, Speak thou unto us and we will hear, but let not God speak with us, lest we die" Exodus 20:19
They were so afraid that if God spoke to them directly they would be more accountable... and if they could just hear it though God's servant Moses then they would be less accountable.
Isn't that exactly how we are, myself included. We don't want God to command us to do something or speak to us directly because we are more accountable to God. Let's just go Church on Sunday and listen to the preacher and if he starts stepping on my toes I will think of something else or justify my unbelief by saying in my mind, "well that is just his own belief, I interpret that scripture another way". We don't want to hear God or the preacher, why because that means we would have to obey and we are such a rebellious nation, a rebellious race for that matter, because obviously it's been going on a long, long time.
Submitting to another is so hard for us, so hard, so we choose to live our lives, and often times wander in the wilderness a while and maybe eventually we get it, some of us never do and we end up never seeing the promise land and perishing in the wilderness, a life of broken hopes and dreams, because we could not commit and submit to God.

  I will end with one of my favorite quotes about submission:
..... People assault their ears with noise to drown the cry of their souls for help. All too often they choose to perpetuate their own misery rather than repent of their evil ways and wrongs and accept the rulership of another who is greater than themseleves. 
scripture ref....Ish 32:18
Frances Daniels

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Just One Towel in this Privileged Life.

The garden of life..

What Matters in the end...